Segregation In Schools

After reading, “Warriors Don’t Cry”, by Melba Beal, one major theme that was most interesting was the importance of desegregation in schools, and how important segregation is to others. Due to the Brown V. Board of Education court case, schools were forced to start desegregation. Desegregation in school settings was important, offering hope, and or producing fear for the others. At first desegregation in the school causes students to get harassed with racial slurs, mobs, and physical abuse. However, some were able to look past physical appearance, showing not all people who identify with a certain skin color are the same. We are able to see this throughout the book when some white students helped the blacks when attacked. A white student was even attracted to a black student in the book, showing even more hope the races can eventually come together. 

To others, segregation was important out of fear of what might happen in the future. In my opinion, I believe segregation was important to the white people who attended because they feared black people might overpower or outsmart them. Their entire lives they were taught negative things about African Americans,their schools were already segregated too. So, a change that came so sudden, allowing people they made out to be savages to learn and freely communicate with them explains the cruelty and reason behind segregation being important to them. I think it is interesting how desegregation in schools was due to race back then, but today it’s desegregated by income. 

3 thoughts on “Segregation In Schools

1. That is a really good point about segregation nowadays. One part of “Warriors Don’t Cry” that surprised me was that the abuse to the Back students got worse and worse as the school year went on. I expected that students would start to see the Melba and the other Little Rock Nine students were just the same as them and it was not going to be a big deal that they integrated their school. What actually happened was that the few white students that were kind to them at first, got bullied in to not speaking to them anymore. As it got closer to the end of the school year, the white students got more determined to get the Black students out of the school. I expected that exact opposite of that to happen. The story did not give me much faith in humanity, because I expected some students to be standing up for the Little Rock Nine.

2. I definitely agree with what you are saying here. One of the main reasons white people of this time did not want segregation to occur was out of fear; one reason they were afraid that black people would want to exact revenge on them for what they had been through (mentioned in film BOYCOTT). Additionally, they were also likely afraid because they did not want their way of life changed. If black people were given equal rights, white people would lose their power. I also think your point about schools being segregated by income today was interesting, and I wish you had been able to explain that point of view a little more.

• “If black people were given equal rights, white people would lose their power.”

This is sooo important! I’m really glad you said this. This is also a major part of how schools are segregated by income in present day. Because of “White Flight” and redlining, de facto segregation confines a large portion of black people in America to urban areas that they can’t get out of. I won’t type a full history lesson in this comment, but the way systemic racism is structured, keeping most black people confined to low income areas keeps them sequestered to “their own spaces” meaning black schools, black businesses, black populated urban areas. The school system is designed to help maintain the US power structure and keep black people at the bottom of the food chain.