The Power in the Ending of BOYCOTT

I believe that the ending of BOYCOTT was more effective than the ending of 4 Little Girls mainly because of how the two endings made me feel. After watching BOYCOTT, I felt the impact of what had occurred at the time, and the film almost felt unfinished. BOYCOTT made it evident that the civil rights movement was not so long ago, and that the issue of race is still ongoing.

FEATURE: Know Your Black History – How Black Ownership & Public Transit  Boycotts Led to Civil Rights Success | AFROPUNK

Protesters during the Civil Rights movement – rather similar to protests occurring today.

In contrast, I felt that the ending of 4 Little girls was rather forgettable and predictable. One of the family members of the girls merely said that, yes, bad things happen in life, but that she is still so grateful for the life she was given. This ending makes everything seem neat and tied up, and leaves the reader feeling satisfied, which while it may be better for ticket sales, is not beneficial in the fight for racial justice. This movie about 4 girls who died, should have ended with more outrage, and it should have left the watcher feeling angry or emotional. This ending allows the viewer to feel content that issues of race are in the past if they so please, and does not challenge the views of that individual.

2 thoughts on “The Power in the Ending of BOYCOTT

1. I think it is incredibly important how you brought it back to racial justice at the end. My question for you would be this: How is the moment where King is acknowledged by the black and Latina officers intended to make the audience feel, versus the emotion it likely brings out given the current condition of the United States?

2. Hi Maud! Thanks for sharing this post! I really like your interpertation of the ending of Boycott and how it brings the story of Dr. King into the 21st century, but I want to push back a bit at how you characterize the ending of 4 Little Girls. I think one message that Spike Lee wanted his audience to take away from the documentary is that the church bombing was not just an event that happened during the national Civil Rights movement, but it was a tragic event that actually rocked the lives of real people and an entire community. Alpha Robertson talks about both her anger and her peace with the event, but to me, it’s important to hear that side of how the community has learned to support each other and heal from their losses. It did not feel wrapped up neatly to me, but rather adding a different lens of perspective to the ending with which to approach the ongoing movement for racial justice today–that it’s a battle that cannot be fought alone. Those are just my thoughts!!